Wuxi, Jiangsu, China
Member Since: 2013
Business Type: Manufacturer/Factory & Trading Company
Ultraviolet water treatment systems (UV sterilisers) kill bacteria in water. They are often used to ensure safe drinking water from well, spring and borehole water supplies. Due to increased legislation are now regularly used in food and drink related industries.
Micro organisms including bacteria, viruses and cysts are all around us naturally. Many are harmless but exposure to "bad" ones can cause severe illness particularly in the elderly and very young. There is a wide variety of water treatment products available to improve taste, clarity, scale etc but none of these are designed to combat bacteria. Ultra violet water treatment is one of the safest ways to disinfect water as the UV rays are a natural component of sunlight. No chemicals are added so there is no danger from overdosing or creating a bad taste.
What does a UV sterilizer do?
A UV sterilizer is used to control infections by stopping the spread of microorganisms from one fish/coral/invertebrate to another through the water. It is also used in pond applications to control free-floating algae. When operated correctly, free-floating microorganisms will be killed by the UV light. Note that the organisms must be in the water that flows to the UV sterilizer. The UV light has no residual effect and will not kill organisms attached to fish (e.g., adult stage of ich) or rocks (e.g., algae).
How do UV sterilizers work?
The UV sterilizer utilizes a germicidal fluorescent lamp that produces light at a wavelength of approximately 254 nanometers (2537 Angstroms). The water with the bacteria/algae passes over the bulb (or around the bulb if a quartz sleeve is used) and is irradiated with this wavelength. As the light penetrates the bacteria/algae, it mutates the DNA (genetic material), preventing growth/multiplication of the organism.